During our classes we use Organic Sunflower Oil to massage your baby. Organic Sunflower Oil is the closest to the oil in the human skin and has excellent moisturising properties. The best oils to use are organic, cold pressed vegetable oils. These are natural and will not harm your baby if ingested during the massage.
When applying oil you will only need to use about the size of a 10p in the palm of your hand.
There are lots of expensive oils on the market, targeted at parents for their baby massage, but a lot of them contain a lot of chemicals that your baby could possibly have a reaction to.
✅Oil to use:✅
- Sunflower: closest to the oil in the human skin and has excellent moisturising properties.
- Grape Seed: a stable oil and less likely to go rancid
- Fractionated coconut: good for a baby with a suppressed immune system or allergies
❌Oils to avoid:❌
- Emollients: these should be applied in the direction of hair growth and can cause infections in the hair follicles if used it massage
- Nut and wheat germ: may cause an allergic reaction
- Olive: research indicates a potential damaging effect in adults with undamaged skin
- Mustard: research indicates a potential damaging effect in adults with undamaged skin
- Mineral: stops the skin from breathing and can dry skin out of use often
- Essential oil: they mask the smell of the parent which is important for bonding. There is no research to prove that use with Baby Massage is safe.
👧Patch test oil👶
Before using any oil it is good practise to test a small area of skin on yourself and baby, usually the inside of the wrist and to be left for 15 minutes to ensure that there will be no allergic reaction.